Crisis counseling generally takes place over the course of several weeks. Crisis intervention is focused on minimizing the stress of the event, providing emotional support and improving the individual’s coping strategies in the immediate circumstance.
A crisis typically refers not to a traumatic event or experience, but to how an individual responds to the situation.
Events that trigger a crisis can run the gamut of life experience from developmental hurdles to natural disasters or the death of a loved one.
- Events may include, but are not limited to:
- Going through puberty and adolescence
- Adjustment to marriage or divorce
- Blended family
- Birth of a child
- Adjustment in school or work with related peer struggles or bullying
Trauma, on the other hand, is generally categorized as either a single-incident or event or a repeated circumstance or event creating long-term trauma.
One-time traumas include such things as car accidents, hurricanes, plane crashes, rape, robbery, or the death of a loved one that is family, friend, or even a co-worker. These types of traumas can result from natural causes or can be deliberately inflicted by another person.
A long term trauma is the result of a prolonged, horrific experience, such as an individual who is repeatedly abused, or has experienced violence such as combat. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a frequent result of long-term trauma.
Signs of Trauma:
- Emotional, cognitive, and physical disruptions in normal, routine behavior
- Anxiety, depression, are fearful, and withdrawn.
- Recurring panic attacks
- Experience concentration problems, have problems remembering things, and/or feel distracted much of the time.
- In extreme cases, people experience flashbacks of the event, nightmares, amnesia, and intense feelings of guilt.
- Physically, many people have eating and sleeping problems.
- They are regularly exhausted and often, they develop unexplained chronic pain.
If you, or a loved one, is or has experienced any signs of crisis or trauma, please feel free to book a confidential appointment and we will be happy to speak with you.